Ben & Jerry's Franchise Information:About Us
Ben & Jerry's Homemade, Inc., the Vermont-based manufacturer of ice cream, frozen yogurt and sorbet, was founded in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, by childhood friends Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. Ben and Jerry's products are distributed nationwide and in selected foreign countries in supermarkets, grocery stores, convenience stores, franchised Ben & Jerry's scoop shops, restaurants, and other venues. Ben & Jerry's, a wholly-owned autonomous subsidiary of Unilever, operates its business on a three-part mission statement emphasizing product quality, economic reward and a commitment to the community.When you step into a Ben & Jerry's scoop shop, you're in for a whole lot more than a treat -- you're in for the wholly extraordinary Ben & Jerry's ice cream experience we call "joy for the belly & soul."
Our customers go to Ben & Jerry's scoop shops with a powerful set of expectations that go way beyond the great taste of our ice cream. Ben & Jerry's franchisees deliver on those expectations and more, serving up euphoric flavors of ice cream, frozen yogurt and sorbet in an atmosphere enhanced by a genuine commitment to outstanding customer service and to community involvement. Backed by our unique brand and shared desire to operate in a socially responsible way, our franchisees are harnessing the power of "doing well by doing good."
We're rapidly expanding our franchise network in key markets across the country, and seeking area developers and single unit operators to be part of our growth. If you're interested in becoming a Ben & Jerry's franchisee, please complete the Express Request form below.Why Ben & Jerry's?
What does it take to become a Ben & Jerry's franchisee?
- It's a fun, viable and personally rewarding business opportunity.
- The strong reputation, mission, history, and caring culture unique to Ben & Jerry's
- Tremendous brand awareness with a loyal and passionate customer base that continues to grow.
- Over 20 years of proven franchising performance.
- Our franchisees come first; we are available, accessible and provide all franchisees a personal touch.
- We are not your typical franchise company - our conservative development strategy enables us to find the strongest operators to open stores in "A" locations only, not on every street corner.
- We support you from start to finish - our training and support teams eliminate the frustrations typically experienced in a start-up business by walking you through site selection, store design, construction, your grand opening and beyond.
- Four store models that fit almost any real estate need ranging from 200 to 2000 sq. ft.
- We offer extensive training at Scoop U in Vermont and in your store.
- Continuous research and development keeps new products and ideas flowing.
- Innovative marketing and promotional campaigns throughout the year.
- Co-branding opportunity with Green Mountain Coffee Roasters.
- Industry-leading revenues.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions:
- Strong business acumen and knowledge of how to develop and operate a business.
- Restaurant management, retail management, or business ownership experience in the last 10 years.
- A full-time commitment to building and developing the Ben & Jerry's franchise business.
- A minimum net worth of $300,000 (excluding residence), of which $80,000 must be liquid.
Please complete the email form below for more Ben & Jerry's franchise information.
- You don't make the ice cream yourself; it's all made in Vermont.
- The scoop shop menu includes ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbet, smoothies, shakes, cookies, and brownies.
- Average total start-up cost per shop is approximately $250,000.
- Our franchisee fee is on a sliding scale from $30,000 to $9,000.
- Royalties are 3% of gross sales; the marketing contribution is 4%.
- We do not offer financing, but we do have relationships with national lenders who prefer to work with our franchisees. This approval process can be expedited to about 2-3 weeks.
- Your first store could be open within six months of your initial inquiry.